Move/Restore Joomla site to a new server using Kickstart 5.4.2
- Category: webmaster
- Published: Saturday, 26 May 2018 10:36
- Written by dedet
- Hits: 1230
Tested on Joomla 3.8.3 and Kickstart 5.4.2.
Note: you don't need to install Joomla first, Kickstart will extract your Joomla.
- previous back up using Akeeba Backup for Joomla (jpa or zip file)
- MySQL user and password
- Read/write permission on web root
Here are the steps:
- Download Akeeba Kickstart from https://www.akeebabackup.com/products/akeeba-kickstart.html. Kickstart contains kickstart.php and its supporting files.
- Upload and extract Kickstart to your previoes Joomla root for example upload and extract kickstart-core-5.4.2.zip into [your_home]/public_html/joomla.
- Upload your backup files to your web root for example upload site-garasiku.web.id-20180104-031734utc.jpa into [your_home]/public_html/joomla. It may take time, depends on your connection speed.
- From your browser open URL http://[your_site]/joomla/kickstart.php and click "Click here or press ESC to close this message".
- Fill form
- Archive file: [your jpa/jps files] e.q. [your_home]/public_html/site-garasiku.web.id-20180104-031734utc.jpa
- Temporary directory: [your_ftp_temp_folder] e.q. [your_home]/public_html/tmp
- Click "Start" to start extracting your Joomla site backup and click "Run Installer" to reinstall and configure your Joomla site.
- It will open ANGIE – Akeeba Next Generation Installer Engine v.5.6.3 in a new tab. Click "Next".
- Fill your MySQL access
- Database server host name: localhost [Note: check your hosting provider]
- User name: [your MySQL user]
- Password: [your MySQL user password]
- Database Name: [your MySQL database name]
- To continue click "Next", It will give a warning, you may click "Ok" or "Cancel".
- If Success, click "Next Step".
- It will restore your configuration files. Update your preferences if you wish, and fill your Joomla administrator password.
- Click "Next" to finish configuration. It will ask your to clean up your Kickstart. It will clean
- Kickstart files
- folder Installation
- Done and conguratulation!
REMOVE your JPA/JPS files from public_html!
Additional Option to change Akeeba backup folder
- Create folder for example akeebabackup on your home directory for example [your_home]/akeebabackup.
- Open your Joomla Administrator page and update Joomla system if necessary.
- "Components -> Akeeba Backup" in "Basic Operation" select "Configuration".
- Change Output Directory into your akeebabackup folder for example /home/example/akeebabackup
- To change non default backup schema, under "Components -> Akeeba Backup" in "Basic Operation" select "Profiles Management"